Getting Veterans the Help They Need :)

Hi all,

A Community Outreach Blogger for the Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance contacted me a while ago, and I took a bit to get back to her (I have so many spam comments on this blog that it’s hard to pick out the real ones). This blogger, Emily, seemed pretty cool so I decided to post the article she sent me. Oh, also, the cause ain’t half bad. (Yes, I said ain’t :P).

I just started my new internship, so watch for news on that, but for now I am lazy and relaxed. <3

Here’s the article (read it and you get a cookie):

How to Get Veterans the Help They Need

Being a veteran is more than just having medals and being able to tell people that you served in the military.  Most veterans have to live with severe medical conditions that can truly affect their lives on a daily basis.  Whether the veteran in question is dealing with mesothelioma or has a variety of psychological issues, there is help out there for them if they need it.  It is so important for you to help them get the help that they so desperately need so that they are able to live a more fulfilling and healthy life.

One of the greatest things any veteran can do is to make regular trips to a counselor or to join a support group.  Counselors are there to listen to your every word and can truly help you to feel better about the situation that you are dealing with.  Support groups, on the other hand, will allow you to mingle with other veterans who are in the same situation as you.  You can either find a local support group in your area or you may even find it beneficial to join a veteran support group online so that you can begin participating.

Receiving some type of support is important, but it is also important for you to be as healthy and happy as possible.  Following a healthy diet and exercising regularly can truly make a different to your quality of life.  Even just 30 minutes of exercise every other day is enough to boost endorphins so that you feel good.  A healthy diet will also help because you will be eating foods that are packed with vitamins and minerals, all of which your body needs.  You should talk with your doctor before making major changes to your current diet and exercise plan.

Along with joining a support group and beginning to exercise more frequently, it may also be a good idea for you to visit a doctor a few times a year.  Your doctor is the only one who is going to be able to take a look at your condition and know if there is something different or wrong.  For example, if you were exposed to asbestos while in the military, your doctor is going to be able to tell when you start showing signs of mesothelioma cancer.  Making regular trips to your doctor can truly save your life if there is something wrong concerning your health.

Living a long and healthy life is essential for every veteran, despite what war they served in or what branch of the military they were in.  The important thing is to seek the help that you need and realize that there is assistance out there for you.  Whether you choose to just join an online support group or you really buckle down with a routine exercise program, you will find that you feel better and more proactive about your health.  Be sure to find the best type of support available that you feel comfortable making use of.

About Julia

I'm studying abroad in Spain, but am supposed to be a Macaulay at City sophomore in the International Studies program. I love my life!
This entry was posted in Junior Year ('12-'13). Bookmark the permalink.