Hi. I’m Sara.

I am a Miami-born, New York college student at Baruch aiming for a degree in English. I have always been enchanted by New York City and every member of my family but myself is from here. Feeling left out of all the fun in the city that never sleeps, I decided to shoot for free college right smack in the middle of it all.

Upon meeting me, there are usually three things people notice. I have brown hair, I have brown eyes, and I love Japan. I have had a deep interest in the culture since I was old enough to chew a piece of raw fish (which was, much to my mother’s worry, the age of six). Now as somewhat second nature to me, I attempt to include Japan in everything that I do, which is one of the reasons I chose New Year’s as my project. The New Year is also, in my opinion, a day on which New York City really shines as crowds gather in Times Square to watch the pretty ball drop down. Growing up without religion, New Year’s has always been one of my favorite holidays. Anyone can celebrate it (and most people do), but nowhere celebrates it like New York City celebrates it. I also have a small obsession with flowers and Spring, which bloomed (pun intended?) only recently, as the season of Spring really does not exist in Miami.

Living in the Lower East Side, I spend most of my days in the East Village working a part-time job at a Japanese supermarket. When I am not making money, I am usually out and about walking, exploring the city which is still very new to me, taking pictures of the interesting things that I find.