Cho Yeon Kim (Renee)

Cho Yeon Kim (Renee)

Energetic, Disney-loving, Chopstick-using, and Timeless.” Oh wait! “The worst speller EVER.”

This is what my best friend thinks about me, Renee Cho Yeon Kim.

As you might have figured out from these random and weird word scrambles, Renee Kim is extremely hard to be defined in one word.

Well, “Random” and “Crazy” might work collectively.

Every since I could remember, I was a Human Rights Activist.

While I was growing up with a super-older sister in South Korea, I (actually and surprisingly) enjoyed fighting for my liberty and rights as a “somewhat” courteous younger sister. I think I initially picked up my interest in human rights and conflict resolution there.

I also had a big dream of studying in America. In 2005, my dream finally came true: I came to study in America as a first-generation immigrant myself. Since then, I have been happily enjoying my life as a New Yorker. I am pursuing two majors, International Relations and Economics, at Baruch College as a Macaulay scholar.

Upon graduation, I will continue to pursue my studies in Journalism at a graduate level. My ultimate career goals are working as a “special rapporteur” at UNHCR (the United Nations Higher Commissioner for Refugees) and make the world aware of the harsh reality that 1 billion refugees must face each day world-widely.

More specifically, I would like to help the children refugees in Gaza Strip, Palestine. This also coincides with the reason why I picked my IDC project’s topic to be the biggest Muslim holiday, Eid al-Fitr. During my free time, I LOVE doing acrylic painting and playing with classic film cameras.

CLICK HERE to Check Out Renee’s Page!