The City College of New York circa 1942

In assignment three, I talk of photographs taken by my maternal great-grandfather, Bruce Mackinnon Iles, of my grandmother Gloria at The City College of New York in 1942. (My Lala was exactly our age at the time.) I went back home this weekend to spend time with my Lala and she was kind enough to give me some of those photographs. I figured you all might like to see her on the campus we go to everyday and realize that although many things have changed, others have remained the same. 

My grandmother is on the left of each photograph. Lala CCNY3Lala CCNY5Lala CCNY6

2 thoughts on “The City College of New York circa 1942”

1. Love these photos, Alexis! She really does look like you. It’s wonderful to see a piece of history that’s so connected to our class, not just because she’s your grandmother, but also because our campus is in the background. Crazy to think how City College has been preserved so well over the years…

2. This is so cute!
    You don’t realize how much history this school has upon first glance, they really have done a good job preserving it. It feels so much more historically prevalent when there’s a personal connection to one of these black & white photos.