Final exam

The seminar has focused on immigration in New York City in the 19th, 20th and early 21st century. The nature of immigration to the city and the nation was dramatically transformed by the Hart-Celler Immigration Act of 1965.

In a well-structured essay of 1,000 words, discuss difference and similarities between the immigrants of the 18th, 19th and first half of the 20th century, and those who followed in the last half of the 20th century and the early 21st century. Consider such issues as politics, economics, the city’s neighborhoods, discrimination and prejudice, language, family dynamics, culture, and assimilation.

Your essays should incorporate material from the readings, speakers, and in-class discussions as well as research you’ve done for your neighborhood essay and the New York Dreams website. I’m looking not only for your broad grasp of the issue but also your mastery of details. Essays will be judged on writing ability as well as content.

Please being a paper copy of your exam essay to the final class this Wednesday, May 21, so it can be handed in by 7 p.m. If you have trouble printing out your exam essay, it can be emailed to me by that time, but a paper copy is preferable. Please email me if you have any questions. cr