Sidewalk Food

I think it would be very interesting to get the perspective of New York City’s street food vendors. These people have become such an iconic part of New York City’s street life. An interesting point of street food in NYC is how it changes and evolves with the city. The classic idea of street food is hot dogs and pretzels and peanuts. However with the sudden immigration of Middle Easterners, a lot more Halal vendors have began to appear throughout the city with some gaining worldwide recognition like The Halal Guys or “Gyro and Chicken”. Now there are a lot more yuppie/”hipster” food vendors beginning to pepper the city as it once again changes forms. I feel like this meets our Past/Present/Future theme very well alongside making it in NYC because this is a person’s job and livelihood. To get into details, the past will focus on becoming a street vendor; what it takes financially, legally, and emotionally. The present will go over the day to day operations from opening to closing. Finally, the future will cover any future ambitions that the vendor has; whether, it is opening up their own place or keep selling on the street.

2 thoughts on “Sidewalk Food”

1. This actually sounds like a phenomenal idea. I think we don’t realize enough just how much these vendors play a role in our every day lives. Even if we don’t necessarily eat from them every day, just having the thought of eating from them in the back of our heads could shape our decisions. Would love to hear some of their stories!

2. I really love your idea, Patrick. I think street vendor food is such an integral part of New York City, and it would be great if you are able to shed a light on the life of some of these vendors. Perhaps you can interview vendors from different parts of Manhattan, such as Central Park West, Union Square, and 34th Street. An interview with the Halal Guys will spark a lot of interest. I am definitely looking forward to your final piece.