Latino Voting Patterns

Note from Connie:

Regarding this article on Latinos rejecting the ballot box:

I never understand people voting against their own economic interests (or even more mysterious, not voting at all), but maybe someone can explain this for me. Are some groups simply so turned off when it comes to the political process (maybe understandable)? Is voting simply not part of the behavior norms of certain groups? Other explanations?

And remember, this is the demographic — younger voters — that helped bring Obama to the White House in 2008; what’s changed since then, beside a widespread disenchantment with Obama, even among many of his onetime supporters.

Anyway, all thoughts appreciated, as always.

3 thoughts on “Latino Voting Patterns”

1. I think this article touched on the reasons why people refuse to vote, or vote against someone who plans to work for their interests. First of all, President Obama is someone people can use as a scapegoat. This leads them to vote against liberal policies when things like The Dream Act lie dormant in Congress. To some, it is Obama’s fault that it couldn’t be passed, and they refuse to give him much support. Second, if people believe that Congress and the constant congressional stalemate is to be blamed, then they are more likely to be cynical. “Oh, nothing’s going to change anyway. Why should I vote?” I’ve heard this many times from many people, and it breaks my heart. “Why do people think this way?” I ask myself. I think big business is to blame, though that would be another rant of sorts.

I also know that in Florida in particular, the Cuban population associates Obama with socialism. Socialism is associated with communism, which is furthermore associated with Castro. As we all know, no one really cares for Castro anywhere. This logic is part of the reason why Florida can be a swing state.

That would be my theory, though sometimes there are other factors.

2. When I was younger, I was eager to turn 18 and to gain the right to vote, but now that I’ve finally come of age and registered to vote, I don’t see myself voting in any election in the near future. My reason for abstaining doesn’t have to do with disillusionment with current politicians. I feel that voting is a responsibility just as much as it is a right, but that too many people vote irresponsibly. Many voters base their vote on half-baked opinions and sweeping conclusions that they drew after conducting incomplete research. I don’t exclude myself from this category because although I read about politics occasionally, I don’t have the time or interest to research American politics thoroughly and to arrive at well-informed conclusions about political candidates and issues. I don’t want to vote blindly, so until I consider myself well-informed about politics, I just won’t vote.

3. Many political candidates promise change just to be elected into office. After they come to office, they are faced with the real problems and it’s finally the time for actions to speak louder than words. Most of the time, problems remain unsolved until the incumbent’s successor comes into office. It’s basically an endless dilemma that we all must survive through. No politician will come to office and perform miracles for a country. It is true that one person can make the whole difference. However, it is necessary for that person to have loyal helpers who share the same aspirations of reform.