Pitch

My idea for a story to include in our final project is to interview my paternal grandparents and ask them questions about how they “made it” in Maspeth, Queens, in the 1950s and 1960s. I’ll ask them to retell their story. They’ll talk about how they found an apartment, the difficulties of marrying outside their ethnicities, raising two boys in a diverse neighborhood, finding work, battling prejudice, and finally achieving happiness. Although my grandparents are rapidly approaching their 90s, they are still quick and clever. They only recently (perhaps the past 5 years) moved out of the city to The Poconos in Pennsylvania. A majority of their lives were spent in New York City and they haven’t forgotten a thing. 

One thought on “Pitch”

1. I think you have a great idea, Alexis! It encompasses everything we have discussed in class–diversity, discrimination, struggle, and NYC neighborhoods. It would definitely be interesting to learn how accepting society was to a biracial couple in the 1950s and 1960s and see how they prevailed.