Bard College Applications

Here’s an interesting article on an alternative college application process that Bard College is experimenting with. The article emphasizes that this new process benefits students that would be overlooked by traditional selection criteria. The article didn’t really mention this, but I was wondering if this system could be a viable alternative to affirmative action, which many people seem to oppose. What do you guys think?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/09/nyregion/writing-essays-instead-of-applications-to-win-a-place-at-bard-college.html?src=me&_r=0 

3 thoughts on “Bard College Applications”

1. I think this a good idea. These essay topics, from what is sounds like, sounds complex enough to allow the applicant to demonstrate his/her knowledge. The same kind of approach could be done with more scientific colleges as well. Perhaps, a student is failing because he/she is putting time into a PHD level research project. Instead of sending in that subpar transcript, he/she could send in an amazing research report and a few essays on other topics in his research field. I know a few friends back in high school who were in this situation. However, there still should be some standards. Obviously, the student can not be failing every course. But as an alternative to the usual application it is great because it does what it is supposed to do: to find and select the nontraditional but passionate students.

2. I totally agree with Andrew’s comment that this could be applied to science universities as well. Many intelligent and hard working students spend a lot of time on their own projects, especially science students. This seems like a great way to evaluate them.

I really like this idea because of the idea that applicants are actually learning while doing the applications. My college admissions process was mostly a lot of BSing. Answering the same introspective questions over and over again, bragging in my essays about internships and grades while trying not to sound like I was bragging. It did sort of seem like a waste of time. Especially when compared to this. An opportunity to read and write about something interesting and show the admissions department that you are an academically capable but also interesting individual.

3. I honestly think that this is a great alternative to the traditional college application. A lot of people’s brilliance is not reflected in their grades or SAT scores, so this provides a way for these people to show their intellect in a way that the traditional college application wouldn’t allow.

I agree with Andrew in that students should still have to show some effort in their schooling because prospective students need to demonstrate some discipline.

Also, I had a similar experience to Natalie in my college admission’s experience. I felt like I had to appear humble while still trying to impress whatever college I was applying to which is paradoxical and uncomfortable (at least for me)