Inequality along NYC subway lines

During our discussion about gentrification in East Harlem, someone mentioned the spread of gentrification along the L-train line. It reminded me of this graphic produced by the New Yorker last year: http://projects.newyorker.com/story/subway/

Screen Shot 2015-03-04 at 11.06.08 AM

It graphs the median income along each of NYC’s subway lines. How does the median income change along subway lines you use frequently? What do these maps and graphs tell us about the geographical spread of income inequality in NYC? Does any of this information surprise you?

4 thoughts on “Inequality along NYC subway lines

1. As a new yorker who frequently roams the city, i use several subway lines and I have noticed stark differences between the type of people on the different subways lines, and even the type of people that get off and on at the different stops. This information is definitely an interesting one

2. Wow! That’s really interesting. I think part of the reason we may not notice the type of neighborhoods we pass through on the subway is because we are underground. In areas where the subway is above ground, we can get a quick snapshot of the area. I agree with Daniel in his comment about the types of people that get on the train in different locations–it’s quite interesting to notice. Living on Long Island I take the LIRR and while riding the train and looking out the window there is clear contrast between the various neighborhoods we pass through. One stop will be surrounded by manufacturing plants and small run-down houses, and the next stop will be in a wealthy neighborhood with large two-story houses and big back yards.

3. When we were brainstorming ideas for our web project, I was actually thinking about doing research on subway stops and their passengers by having each person ride a subway line the whole way and observing. However, it sounds time-consuming, though no doubt intriguing. Maybe for a future class they can look more into the demographics of subway rides, and, in the light of economic status, take into account that every one of these passengers pays the same $2.75 per ride or equivalent monthly for a pass.