Justin White “History of Celia Cruz”:
Choosing what to do for this project was challenging. As I originally intended to do Hispanic music, I didn’t know what direction to take. I could have done something related to Merengue , Bachata, Rumba, even Soca music that my family and I listen to on a daily basis. However after further discussing the project with my Grandmother, it became clear I should talk about Celia Cruz. We love Salsa, and Celia Cruz is one of the best Salsa singers in history.
I knew some of here music prior to starting this project, nevertheless I learned a lot about her while completing the project. One thing I learned that I couldn’t squeeze in the video was her famous catch phrase “Azucar”, which means sugar in Spanish. It was a joke at first when she asked for sugar at a restaurant, but it evolved throughout her career. It served as a reminder of the Cuban slaves who use to pick up sugar. Now a comparison of when life was rough to a much better life.
I want people to learn of the hardships she went through in life and how her music still gives off positivity. I wanted to share how much of an icon she truly was, and as the phrase goes, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Here is the link to the video:
https://youtu.be/lchFjZr9E10?si=Y0xQbLxa0RKl1v88