Link: https://youtu.be/vkm6dohiL8c?si=MSOFTLRXGLCKmtnL

My project sheds light on the New York Philharmonic as a form of art. When it came to choosing my topic, I wanted to pick something that interested me. I have played the flute and for the school band for six years. I really enjoyed playing it as I had a lot of fun experimenting with it. It let my creativity take off. In college, I have not been able to find a band to play for yet so I wanted to include it in my STEAM Festival project. Even though I was not able to play it for the project, I was able to dig deep and analyze it. I learned a lot of valuable things that come from music. This is something I was not able to do when I played it since I mostly focused on getting the parts right. This project allowed me to find the deep and hidden value when it comes to music.

I analyzed the musical performance aspect through art criticism and the lens of “what makes it art”. With music, the details are unique and I chose to focus on the individual roles for when it comes to making a musical performance possible. I interpreted each detail with the message that it not only gives the audience but to the performers as well. These hidden roles often get overlooked and underappreciated so I wanted to shed light on those parts too. I analyzed not only what makes up a music performance but also the “behind the scenes”.

I was hesitant to make a video essay as I am not experienced with this kind of editing. However, I really wanted to focus on music so I made it work. With the limited video editing skills I have, I screen-recorded the slide presentation with audio on my phone. I had a lot of fun putting the slides together since I wanted to make sure that the music was presented in the best way possible. For fun and extra practice, I presented these slides to people I was close with.