A Longing for Unity

“The distant soul can shake the distant friend’s soul and make the longing felt, over untold miles.”        – John Masefield

I live on one side of a long, broken bridge. On this end, also known as my actual hometown, I stand peering across the bridge trying to find a way to unite with the place that I call home, Buenos Aires. This beautiful city is where my entire extended family resides; where all my cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents get together to celebrate special occasions, Christmas, New Years, birthdays; where my relatives spend evenings together playing cards, talking, laughing, eating, and watching soccer, all without me. My entire life I’ve been longing for some kind of unity with the people I love dearly overseas; jealous of all those around me who can enjoy this simple, yet precious luxury. Despite this, I’m grateful to have these people be a part of my life and I cherish the brief opportunities that I have to be with them, fully aware that there are others out there who are much less fortunate.

2 thoughts on “A Longing for Unity

1. I really like the quote you put up. I can definitely relate to it. Your post is really meaningful and relevant.