Spring 2016: The Peopling of New York City A Macaulay Honors Seminar taught by Prof. Karen Williams at Brooklyn College

Spring 2016: The Peopling of New York City
Awareness and Motivation to Bring about Change

The systems of white privilege and male privilege are very prevalent features of modern day society in the United States despite many people’s objections. In her paper, “White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack,” Peggy McIntosh identifies how certain groups of people are unaware of inherit privileges that they have due to race or gender. McIntosh also offers the idea that we can combat these unfair advantages as well as spread some of the benefits to other groups of people. For most of my life, through my studies, I was aware of the shortcomings that particular racial and gender groups had in society. However, I never stopped to think about how I, myself, was in a position with the upper hand. For example, one of the effects of white privilege identified by McIntosh is “I can criticize our government and talk about how much I fear its policies and behavior without being seen as a cultural outsider” (McIntosh, 3). Throughout history, we can identify examples of the popular leaders and figures condemning the government for its behavior, without being labeled as aliens. I never would have imagined that the only reason I could produce such a statement and not get discriminated against was due to my white skin color.

McIntosh elucidates the important point, that bringing the problem to people’s attention is the first step in trying to fix it. If people are not aware that they have certain advantages because of their skin color or sex, then there will be no motivation to fix the problem. People need to understand that certain positions of dominance exist in order to begin establish a more level playing field. Certain advantages that belong to white privilege are due to racist behavior towards other cultural groups such statements 17 and 18 described by McIntosh:

“17. I can talk with my mouth full and not have people put this down to my color.

18. I can swear, or dress in second hand clothes, or not answer my letters, without having people attribute these choices to the bad morals, the poverty or the illiteracy of my race.”

These fundamentally prejudiced beliefs can be dealt with by a method identified by Judith Ortiz Cofer in her essay, “The Myth of the Latin Woman: I Just Met a Girl Named Maria.” In this essay, Cofer describes how she is a target of stereotypes and racist beliefs because of her Latina background.  Her goal is to “replace the old pervasive stereotypes and myths about Latinas with a much more interesting set of realities” (Cofer, 207). Rather than creating laws and forcing a change among the people, we can inspire people to think differently by providing them with interesting facts about particular cultures. Such actions would not only help put an end to racism, thereby eliminating aspects of white privilege, but also prevent such attitudes from arising in the future.

Cofer, Judith Ortiz. “The Myth of the Latin Woman: I Just Met a Girl Named Maria.” Many Voices, Many Lives. 203-207. Print.

McIntosh, Peggy. “White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack.”  1-7. Print