Rigoletto, My Home Fello

What I liked:

I loved the Metropolitan Opera House. Even when I was looking at it from the outside i was amazed. It is quite possibly the most beautiful building I have ever seen, a piece of art itself. I could have just looked at IT for the three hours it took to watch the opera and I would have been just as satisfied with the way i spent my time. (not like the opera was bad or anything I’m just stressing the beauty of the MET). And to my suprise,When I walked into the building, it just got prettier. I felt like royalty. The carpets were red, and everyone was dressed really fancily. It was like one really long red carpet.

Another thing I really liked was the stage setting and props. They were all so realistic! The setting for the whole opera was supposed to be outside, and the background had a painted on sky, except it didn’t look painted at all. It looked real. I actually forgot that i was inside for a while; i felt like i was outside. I’ve watched a lot of plays in my life, and have never seen such a realistic set up on a stage before.

The opera itself was very entertaining. The actors/actresses all had unbelievably powerful voices. It was my first time at an opera, and i was expecting singing that somewhat resembled screaming, but it was not that way at all; it was very soothing. I fell asleep several times. It wasn’t because it was boring. It was because the singing was as gentle as a lullaby that your mother would sing to you to put you asleep.

What i didn’t like:

I strongly disliked the people. I thought they were rude, snobby, and inconsiderate, and I’ve never seen so many rude, snobby, and inconsiderate people in one place at one time. They ruined the pretty atmosphere with their ugly personalities.

I also disliked the ending of the opera. I didn’t feel that the Rigoletto acted appropriately to his daughters death. I didn’t feel the sadness in his tone and his actions. His emotions were (unlike the set) rather unbelievable and unrealistic. I also thought that his daughter took an obnoxious amount of time to die. It droned on forever. Also there is no way she could be singing with that much power let alone even mumbling for that amount of time after being stabbed to death. The emotions of the characters and the storyline really took away from the realistic aspect of the opera that the stage setting brought, and I thought that was a shame.

This entry was posted in Rebecca Zielkowski, Rigoletto. Bookmark the permalink.