Falling for Fall for Dance

Before I say anything else, let me just say, I fell for “Fall for Dance.” This was definitely one of my favorite dance-watching experiences. The reason i think I liked it so much was because the outfits were so simple. Usually whenever i watch a dance recital, the clothing is so outlandish that it is distracting, and i end up paying more attention to what the dancers are wearing than the actual dancing. However, because of the simplicity of the costumes in this concert, I was able to really focus on what was important.

The first dance, Three Movements (performed by Rafaela Carrasco), was incredible. The dancers were making music with their bodies, and imitating the music that the drummer and guitarist were playing, and what amazed me most about that was how identical the sounds were. Not only was it pleasing to watch but it was pleasing to listen to. This act reminded me of the step team at my high school, because they had very similar movements and made very similar sound patterns. They were always performing at school events to get the audience pumped up and to encourage school pride. That’s what i felt these dancers were doing. They were encouraging pride in their culture and their cultural music, and without using words. They were persuading with their bodies, and I imagine that is even harder than it looks. As I always found the step team at my school, I found this very impressive.

The second dance, Red Angels (performed by the New York City Ballet), was not even close to as great as the first dance, but even though I didn’t particularly like it, i didn’t think it was terrible. I thought it was kind of weird, but sort of interesting. On one hand, I was cringing at the movements of the dancers because every pose they made looked extremely painful, and on the other hand, i was admiring their strength and flexibility. I really just felt neutral about it. Here’s a video of them:

“>

The third dance, Duet (performed by the Ernie Zane Dance Company), I would not even consider a dance. I don’t know what they were doing up there, but it was not dancing. I have no other comments.

The fourth dance, ID:Entidades (performed by Companhia Urbana De Dance), was my favorite. Other people said that it went on for too long, and that ruined it, but i thought that was the best part about it. The dancers were excellent, and it kept me entertained the entire time, which happened to be a very long time. I usually am really disappointed after watching a dance I really like because it ends before I’m ready to stop watching. They leave me hungry for more, but this dance lasted an appropriate amount of time and fed my appetite. On top of that, the dancers were taking contemporary dance moves (like break dancing), and mixing it with old music and old fashioned dance styles. I thought it was really unique, and I absolutely loved it.

All in all, the whole thing was amazing and i would recommend it to everyone. I think it collected so many different genres of dance together that no matter what kind of person you are, you would enjoy it.

This entry was posted in Fall For Dance, Rebecca Zielkowski. Bookmark the permalink.