More than meets the eye at the Brooklyn Museum

Walking around the Brooklyn Museum the first time, I had no idea what to write about. So I took a bunch of pictures and left. It wasn’t until a week later, when I was on the train going up town that I saw the ad to see the Norman Rockwell exhibit.

This exhibit showcases the pictures behind his paintings. He literally copied the image and then altered the background. He would add people and scenery. He would change subtle things here and there. It was like he was a human photoshop program. The were many photos and paintings put up in comparision with each other. It was kind of surprising to see what the actual photo was. For example the tatoo artist was really a barber.

What I found interesting about this is that these paintings embody what the true process of creativity really is- that inspiration can come from anywhere. The most interesting paintings were the baseball one and the moving one. The baseball because after seeing where he got the photo, it was like a completely different situation that the boy was upset with. The moving one was interesting to me because of where the pictures come from and how perfect they were put together. Rockwell had all these pictures and he was able to transform them into these.
colorful and meaningful paintings.

Norman Rockwell’s paintings really were interesting to me, they were simple to understand but the meaning was not. Now we get to see where he got his inspiration from.

This entry was posted in Brooklyn Museum, Peter Yip. Bookmark the permalink.