TEDxGramercy #grit

tedx3

On Saturday, September 27th at 3:17PM I left my 97th street dorm and headed for the downtown 6 train. I was heading to Baruch, not for class, but to attend TEDxGramercy which was being held at Mason Hall in the 23rd Street building. With my Business 1000 textbook in hand to study for Monday’s exam, I waited anxiously on line, only looking up to take a few steps forward.

The topic of the night was grit, but what is grit?

grit

tedx

“Life takes grit. From the smallest organisms surviving in the void of space to the bravest children growing up in abject poverty… from the boxing ring to the surgical table and back, the tenacity of life is unassailable!”

tedx2

There were a total of 7 speakers: Caroline Adams Miller, The Moments that Make Champions; Harriet Taub, Creative Reuse; Harvey Rubin, Keeping Inoculations Cool; Nir Barzilai, How to Die Young at a Very Old Age; Michael Crouch, The Cost of Courage: We Need to Pay Attention; David Ginspoon, Terra Sapiens: Planetary Challenges of the Fourth Kind; and Amikaeyla Gaston, Dare to Be Dauntless!. Each speaker told a different story and with each story came a different emotion, a different feeling, and a different definition of how to live the “gritty life”. A summary of these stories wold do them no justice, but to put it in the words of the speakers:

Grit is Why not me? Grit is art. Grit is saving lives. Grit is courage. Grit is music

Grit is being limitlessness.

Check out the list of speakers at tedxgramercy.com/grit and keep an eye out for the recorded talks at ted.com