Heavenly Bodies Review

Walking into the ROX gallery I was immediately taken by Tom Smith’s colorful, eye catching, one-of-kind works. As I went from painting to painting I could not help but go up close to each one and admire all of the details in each and every piece. One thing I found so special about Smith’s work was that they all seemed so precise and neat while still feeling very loose and organic. I went from painting to painting marveling at his talents and trying to figure out how he accomplished that balance.

I was also busy trying to figure out what each painting was and what their connections were to each other. I thought maybe they were inspired by maps, or by the galaxy or possibly even by monsters. (Tom Smith did later explain the inspiration behind his work. It turns out my guesses were not quite right but, hey, that’s part of the fun right?) Each painting was so magical, I felt like I was being transported to different realms just by looking at them (which in hindsight I find pretty cool because, in truth, each work was inspired by Smith’s travels).

After having time to admire the paintings, we were fortunate to hear from Tom Smith himself. He shared many incredible insights and thoughts about his work, and art in general. However, one idea that stood out to me was his discussion of “resolving a painting.” I found it incredibly fascinating when he explained that the first method employed on his paintings (creating two works and then cutting them into thin strips and then gluing them together) left him out of control of the final product. Thus, when he started his second group of paintings he needed to figure out on his own when each painting was done. I find this so admirable, but at the same time very relatable, because I can’t imagine working so hard on anything yet not really having a final say on its outcome, while, at the same time, I really appreciate the struggle of not knowing when you are done, when you have done your best, and when its time to move on.