The Art of Graffiti

The Art of Graffiti

Often when we walk around New York City, we inevitably encounter graffiti. I don’t know how you guys view graffiti, but I was always taught that graffiti was bad- it was vandalism, spray painting the sides of buildings with racial slurs and derogatory remarks. A couple of months ago, I went to the Museum of the City of New York, and saw an exhibit on graffiti, City As A Canvas. Wondering why such graphic art was being displayed in a museum, I checked it out, and what I saw was amazing. Graffiti art wasn’t vandalism-it was art. It was a way for street artists to make their art public when they were too poor to afford putting it in a museum or gallery. One of the most prominent graffiti artists was Martin Wong, and the exhibit was focused on his work. He created many interesting works using spray paint.I realized after this that I shouldn’t judge something simply because of what someone else says, but to make my decisions on how I want to see something. Now, I look at graffiti in a different light- instead of vandalism, it is art.   city_as_canvas2            IMG_1092