Charlesworth Mabheka

It all started in the Highfield suburb of Harare, Zimbabwe where I was b raised up and rapidly evolved into a nationwide demolition and eviction campaign carried out by the police and the army. Popularly referred to as “Operation Tsunami” because of its speed and ferocity it resulted in the destruction of homes, business premises and vending sites. We lost both our homes and our source of livelihood. Together with Hundreds of thousands of other women, men and children, we were made homeless, without access to food, water and sanitation, or health care. Education for thousands of school age children was disrupted. Many of the sick, including those with HIV and AIDS, no longer had access to care.

Suddenly, being part of the vast poor majority and disadvantaged of the population, we were thrown into deeper poverty, deprivation and destitution, and were been rendered more vulnerable by the so called. With no warning, the government had embarked on an operation to “clean-up” its cities. It was a “crash “operation known as “Operation Murambatsvina.”The Zimbabwe government justified this as a measure to rid the cities of  ‘illegal activities’, and yet this violent operation led to the displacement of hundreds of thousands of people, destruction of homes, businesses and property, widespread loss of livelihoods and the injury and deaths of some residents.

Tears swelled in my eyes. I cried out of obligation to my heart which felt heavy with unexpressed grief. For the first time, I understood what it meant to have a heavy heart.  I could not stop tears flowing down my face. It seemed that life was very cruel at times, but I refused to drown in my sorrows. The unnecessary brutality was hard for anyone to understand or to accept. The Mugabe government’s shameful policies meant that it was all right for his police to treat the people as if they were less than human. At that moment, I knew what I wanted to do with my life. I wanted to alleviate the suffering of others, to offer compassion, sincerity, and empathy to those in need and to serve others. “Murambatsvina” rekindled my desire to get involved in public service.

Born in Mazowe, in an impoverished rural area in Zimbabwe, I am the eldest son in a family of eight children. Growing up in Zimbabwe, parents always reminded us children that the only way out of poverty was to get a good quality education. As soon as I had finished high school in 1980, I had taught before joining the civil service. I worked in the Ministry of Defense as an Administrative Assistant before transferring to the Ministry of Finance to the position of Administrative Officer, a position I held until I came to the United States to pursue my dream of obtaining a college degree.

During this time the country was subjected at the hands of the war veterans and militia. Approximately half the population had fled in exile. Then, as if it was not enough, tragedy struck again. On 23 January, 2009, a ferocious cholera epidemic in Zimbabwe killed my mother, sister, and nephew aged 62, 18, and 11 years respectively. These experiences enhanced my awareness of how health care or want of it is rooted in the economy and politics. This made me to see that public health should be regarded as a political priority by any government. I believe that planning to improve health should therefore be integrated into development or economic planning or vice- versa. As a displaced person in my own country, having lost everything, I was then forced to flee the country enroute to the United States, where I would be given a chance to begin a new life and fulfill my dreams of a college education. I had survived against incredible odds for many months in temporary settlement. On 22 September 2003, I stepped off the plane into an unfamiliar country and unknown future, having travelled thousands of miles with next to nothing but my dignity and determination.

In spring 2009, I was about to reach a major milestone in my life. I graduated from the borough of Manhattan with ninety –one credits and a solid 3.53 grade point average with an Associate degree in Business Administration. It was the first time wearing a cap and gown and walking to the graduation march. On graduation day, there was no member of my family to witness and acknowledge that I had done something significant. I was proud to be the first Mabheka to graduate from college. I was only sorry that my parents never lived to see me. I had come a long way since coming to the U.S. My three years at BMCC had taught me to pursue excellence, and I would not settle for the second best.

For my undergraduate studies, once I was admitted in the CUNY Baccalaureate program for Unique and Interdisciplinary Studies, I took advantage of the incredible opportunity to design my own course of study in International Relations and Global Public Health Policy, and tailor to my specific academic and professional goals with an emphasis on human rights and social change. I   wanted to play an important role in the fight against HIV/AIDS and bad governance. In this context, ensuring that freedom and social justice and high quality health care that meets the need of diverse population is my major goal. I believe that HIV/AIDS and bad governance pose threats to international peace and security in the region and the world beyond. To me, this was not fascinating work, but here, I can truly make a big difference.

With this perspective in mind, I set my sights on working for an international organization such as the World Health Organization (WHO) or holding public office in government. I believe that poor governance and misrule has been at the heart of poor performance in Zimbabwe and across the continent Africa, especially Zimbabwe has faced a severe leadership crisis and the crisis continues in today. Zimbabwe is not an electoral democracy and President Mugabe holds power by force. The country’s resources are used to enrich small elite, leaving most people in deep poverty. Corruption, patronage, and the absence of the rule of law have allowed President Mugabe to abuse his power, leading to conflict and violence. I have always loved politics and from that have developed a great respect and fascination for human rights and social justice.

I therefore envision myself being actively involved in key strategic decisions at top government level and playing an important role in the development of policies that promote policy leadership for democracy promotion, surveillance, research, and  interventions related to the prevention and control of HIV /AIDS. My major goal is to improve the living standards of my people. This would be accomplished by advocating and implementing regulations which foster good governance, the health and dignity of all people. Learning such new ways of thinking would increase my ability to analyze concrete policy issues from different perspectives to benefit the oppressed people. I believe that there is need for new leadership that would respect democracy and good government, and changes that would allow ordinary citizens more involvement between elections.  The goal is to be an accomplished person where both my public health abilities and work can put me in a strong position for a national international assignment.

Outside the classroom, while committed to service and intellectual interest in making a difference in a world around me, I have participated in many social justice and human rights initiatives outside the classroom. For example, on December 10, 2008, I played a role in planning and organizing the HIV /AIDS and Democracy  Forums which was attended by over 100 students, faculty and community members at the Borough of Manhattan Community College . I have also been involved in outreach programs to groups at high risk, awareness campaigns, and condom distribution. I believe that combating HIV/ AIDS requires a comprehensive approach comprised of education and outreach to spread awareness. I am currently volunteering with International Rescue Committee, a nonprofit organization dedicated to responding to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. I am involved in helping to offer lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster.

As a global citizen, the condition of the homeless people in New York City broke my heart day in day out. A strong sense of empathy and compassion ran over me for these struggling New Yorkers. Coming from a poor family and country myself, I knew the dynamics that could cause someone to lose hope and give up… More determined than ever, I also wanted to make a greater difference in the community. So I got a personal look at the homelessness population as I have never been able to before. All these personal experiences influenced and motivated me be civically engaged and to participate in many volunteer opportunities such as One –to World’s community service volunteer programs.

For example, in  since 2006, I have regularly  joined other student volunteers to l distribute food, clothing, blankets and personal care items to the homeless on the streets of New York City, in partnership with the non-profit Midnight Run. This unique late-night relief effort has created in me a forum of trust, sharing, understanding and human exchange. By coming to meet and help the hungry and homeless of New York and distributing food that you I help to prepare at the beginning of the evening, this has given me a sense of satisfaction and civic engagement.

In 2005 and 2006 , I was selected as part of an international student delegation to attend two prestigious foreign affairs conferences, held annually at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, and the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis respectively. These two four-day conferences brought me to other student delegates together with American college students and foreign affairs professionals from around the U.S. to discuss and debate American foreign policy. As an international delegate I have had the opportunity to represent my country, discuss and debate complex international issues confronting U.S. foreign policy, and have shared my international perspective with  other undergraduate students from across the U.S. & the world, in addition to experiencing three days  in the life of U.S. military and naval students.

I must point out that it has, indeed been humbling to win various academic honors and awards including the Colin Powell Fellowship at the City College, and Thomas Smith Fellowship, at CUNY Baccalaureate for Interdisciplinary Studies at the Graduate Center. Similar to the Yearlong Honors Thesis Colloquium Macaulay Honors College at the City University of New York, the Colin Powell fellowship is year – long and is divided into two distinct programs and led by two dedicated facilitators,  professor Michael Bush, Public Service and Public Policy and, facilitated by Ms Kamilah Briscoe, Leadership and Public Service respectively.

I must point out that my subsequent fascination with public policy and public service has been spirited by my International political Economy class, Michael Busch, City College of New York. Meticulous and enthusiastic, Professor Busch further ignited my inspiration to pursue a professional career in public service. Additionally, I have been fortunate to have Dr. Vincent Bodoreau as my faculty advisor to supervise my research project. Professor Boudreau’s guidance is a pivotal inspiration to my growing interest commitment to a career in public service.

The Public Service Program provides me with   in-depth knowledge on the primary purpose of public engagement namely – to effect positive social change. This has helped me to identify effective engagement strategies including community building, grassroots activism, direct service and volunteerism, voting, economic development, and direct action strategies. On the other hand, the public policy program seminar will introduce me to public policy issues in the U.S. and the world beyond. My main focus and interest in this area is the basic progression of policy development which I will use to pursue a deeper understanding of global health and poverty, and democratic change.

On the other hand, the program in Leadership and Public Service focuses on a critical analysis of my own academic and professional responsibilities and commitments within the context of leadership for the common good. Importantly, I  the this area of the program will help me to reflect on my own leadership development as I work on individual service and research projects  on the Impact of Economic Sanctions with specific focus on public health. The research, which will cover areas including acquisition of literacy, health behavior will enable me to analyze critically existing public health systems, and to formulate effective and efficient health policies and programs to benefit the underserved communities.

Clearly, the Colin Powell Program in Leadership and Public Service is relevant and ties perfectly into my studies and contributes to my professional development. I am learning how political decisions are made and how government is run. This has not only enabled me to learn to weave together theory and practice and to combine scholarship and advocacy, but is preparing me for my future career in politics with a goal to benefit my people.  Additionally, I am learning the components of political campaigning, leadership, public service and public policy as well as gaining in-depth knowledge and critical skills necessary to be successful in positions impacting international policy, and health democratic, and human rights development programs to make a greater difference in my community.

Perhaps more important, my interdisciplinary major draws on fundamental political theory and research techniques as the basis for explorations into problems of the impact of economic sanctions. I am currently participating in research, and engage in a broadly based Year- long Honors Thesis Colloquium program in conjunction with the Macaulay Honors College. Such training has enabled me to acquire a fundamental orientation in the mastery of knowledge and investigative approaches to research in my chosen topic of the Impact of Economic Sanctions, with specific focus on the case of Zimbabwe. The Year- long Honors Thesis Colloquium program has been essential in honing my research skills developing me research skills.

The Year- long Honors Thesis Colloquium program provides me with a challenging and enriching intellectual community where I am attending an honors class at Macaulay’s Honors College. Joined with other students and our enthusiastic and distinguished professor Lee Quiby, We engage in discussions with our professor and each other about our individual research topics. The Colloquium is relevant and has provided me an opportunity for in-depth research and analysis on the impact of sanctions.   Besides  deepening my understanding  of the dynamics of sanctions in the context of government and public affairs, the research Colloquium has motivated my interests and allowed me  to share my research findings, my  various national and cultural perspectives, as well as  my academic experience with others. I am also immensely benefiting   from my distinguished and experienced instructor, Professor Lee Quinby who has shared her research views, equipping us with skills of research, analysis and perception to succeed in our projects.

In closing, I think it is only appropriate for me to leave you with the words of American playwright, raconteur, and entrepreneur, Wilson Mizner’s words who commenting about research said, “When you take stuff from one writer its plagiarism; but when you take it from many writers, its research.” And this is exactly what we are being taught to do at the Year – long Honors Thesis Colloquium at Macaulay Honors College at the City University of New York, because “He who does not research has nothing to teach.”