Ilya Ryvin

As far as I can remember, I have always loved movies. When I was a youngster, I used to frequent the local theater at least once a week to watch the latest release. My favorite films were either fantasy or science fiction, not because I have a particular affinity towards either of those genres, but because I loved the rich mythology often embedded in those types of movies. As I got older and began to watch some of cinema’s most acclaimed films, I learned to appreciate cinema in an entirely new way. I learned about story structure and character arc. I learned about cinematography and camerawork. I even learned techniques actors use to perform for the camera. In other words, I started to look at films as technical works of art. Nevertheless, my love for the types of movies I watched as a child never died out, and as a young adult I still seek out films that not only tell exciting stories, but also build new and exciting worlds.

In one of my film classes, I was introduced to the concept of transmedia storytelling. The term, originally coined by MIT professor Henry Jenkins, is used to describe a story that unfolds across different media platforms, with each point of access unique and self-sustaining, to create an expansive mythology. In his book, Convergence Culture: Where Old and New Media Collide, Jenkins discusses The Matrix and all affiliated media as the first true attempt to create a true transmedia narrative. The Wachowski brothers attempted to create a mythology so vast that it could not be contained within the scope of one film, or in this case three. What followed were comic books, an anime, and video games that told stories that the brothers felt were important to tell, but just could not be integrated into the films.

This case study of transmedia storytelling peaked my interest for two reasons. The first was that I love the trilogy. While most remember the films as technological and stylistic achievements with jaw-dropping action sequences, I will remember them for their stories. The huge cast of characters, the backstories, the histories, and the grand ideas the Wachowskis tried to get across were enough to drag me into this world. The second reason, and perhaps the most important one pertaining to what I plan to study, is that Wachowskis were not hindered by the limits of their medium. As any film student will learn, movies need to follow a number of basic rules, and these rules often limit what can be done in a movie logistically. Other mediums however, such as video games and television programs, have their own guidelines and can be perfect for getting across information movies cannot. Understanding this, the Wachowskis carefully planned their mythology around a number of these different mediums to create a cohesive universe.

It is my belief that the transmedia model, or at the very least a variation of this model, is the future of storytelling. More show runners, film makers, and video game developers have either taken the transmedia approach or some elements of transmedia storytelling when developing their stories.

Some of the questions I hope to address are as follows: Since the development of films and television, what has the progression of storytelling been? What is the difference between a serial and a transmedia story? What is convergence culture and media convergence? What would happen to a potential transmedia story dealing with copyright and ownership issues? What is participatory culture? I will take the approach of trying to help my audience understand this phenomenon. My goal, although in its preliminary stages, is to produce a thesis that tracks the development of this model, analyze audience participation trends, and present strong examples of transmedia storytelling in action.

2 Responses to “Ilya Ryvin”

1.   Lee Quinby Says:

Ilya,

It seems to me that you do actually have an affinity for fantasy and science fiction, despite your saying the contrary, because of the way you describe your fascination for the “rich mythology” of those films. That’s an important ingredient in a research project because it is crucial to one’s motivation, even as the analytic skills you are now learning to employ will supply the kind of rigor you also need. The recognition that all the forms used in transmedia storytelling have their own sets of rules is a vital one to this project.

At this stage of your research, you will need to keep in mind that Jenkins will serve you as a key source for the topic but you will also have to be careful to avoid over-reliance on him as a source. You mentioned after class that you might end up critiquing his stance somewhat, and that is definitely an angle to keep in mind.

One of the areas that I am not clear about (or maybe just want to caution you about) has to do with audience response. It is difficult to establish the relationships between an audience’s response and its impact on the next stage (or form) of storytelling. How would you do this? The idea of a participatory culture is central to transmedia storytelling, I gather, but you will need to find ways to demonstrate how it works.

I am looking forward to finding out about this, since it is new for me, although I can readily see the merit of it as a way of describing the kind of narrative that emerges from global technologies. The “Matrix,” it seems, is not only an instance in which the transmedia form is used to tell the story but also an apocalyptic story which warms about the illusions created by that new form. Do you agree?

2.   ilyaryvin Says:

I have been thinking that my paper will have to be split into two parts. The first part will explain all the concepts that make up transmedia storytelling: convergence culture, participatory culture, case studies, some sort of timeline that shows the evolution of narrative storytelling since the 1950s (arbitrary starting point for now). Perhaps this section can explain how all of these things come together and set the stage for what transmedia storytelling is, and how it is different from serials, spin-offs, adapatations, etc.

The second part of my paper will be about what claim I make. Some working ideas are:
    1) Is Transmedia storytelling truly a narrative revolution, or just an extension of the way modern audiences interact and participate with media?
    2) How are the elements of transmedia storytelling changing/supporting the ways independent filmmakers tell stories?
    3) Brilliant marketing strategy VS. legitimate form of storytelling.