Shumaila 10/1/2012

During Monday’s class, Professor Kahan introduced different types of singing voices in operas between men and women. The three types of male voices that we went over were bass, baritone, and tenor. I was particularly fascinated to learn how combining the elements of drama and music created opera.

I learned about the four biggest musical composers, Mozart, Verdi, Puccini, and Bizet. Professor Kahan explained how writing Operas isn’t as easy as it seems, because you have to look for unique high-pitched words that display the performer’s talents effectively.  Then for the first time, I watched an opera video in class. This was something, to be honest, I never saw myself doing at any point in my life. However, I’m glad I was provided with such an intriguing introduction to Operas before attending one myself during Wednesday evening. I was most fascinated when I learned about Pavarotti, and how he sang at various points in his life, but he consistently sounded the same. Although, his voice had matured somewhat, I was awestruck but how one can sing so powerfully even at such an old age. My appreciation for Opera definitely grew after I watched the “Nessun Dorma” meaning  “None shall sleep.”

I learned more about the opera during this class than I had thought I’d get to know. I have a new appreciation for such a unique musical form, and hope to learn more styles that I never thought to learn if I had not been in Macaulay’s Seminar class. After being in Monday’s class, I felt much more interested in attending my first Opera.