Monday, October 1st James Baldassano

On monday, October 1st, we had a very interesting seminar class. We took a look at a variety of voice pitches. We started off with the bass, which was the lowest pitch of the male range. We listened to an aria which was performed in the bass pitch, which I found very interesting, how such a deep voice could sing so beautifully. After that, we listened to the next highest pitch, which was a baritone. In addition, we listened to a few female voices, such as Habanera from Carmen. Other famous pieces were the aria from the Don Giovani. My favorite by far, however, was the 3 performances of Nessun Dorma by Pavarotti. With each passing performance, his emotion, as well as his range, aged like wine. His high C’s sounded more elegant and beautiful, his tone and pitch also became much more pleasant (not that they weren’t to begin with” with each video. His last performance ever at the 2006 Olympics, were something that truly gave me chills. It had a power of such magnitude, that it was literally heard around the world. My second favorite was Habanera from Carmen, which was an upbeat song about a promiscuous female. My third favorite was Largo al Factotum (Figaro), which was another upbeat song about a servant who is more loved than his master.

All in all, this lesson was a true eye opener. It opened my taste to a different area of music. Since I have already had a passion for classical music, especially Gustav Holst, the transition to appreciate opera music was easy.