“Turandot” 10/3/2012 – Shumaila

On Wednesday, October 3rd, 2012, I went to my first Opera titled “Turandot”. The opera was about a princess who didn’t want to be controlled by any man. She composed a plan so that she would never get married. Any potential suitor would have to correctly answer the three riddles, and if they answered incorrectly, they were beheaded.
When I first got out of the subway terminal, and walked in to the hallway that led to the outside courtyard between the Metropolitan Opera House and the Julliard school, I was amazed by the overpowering scenery. I didn’t expect that the fountain, the building, and just the comprehensive setting would convey such an immense sense of appreciation for the arts.
During the Opera, seeing the orchestra perform live, was something I had never seen before. I watched in awe as the conductor directed the musicians so play their instruments. Watching the “Nessun Dorma” was definitely an amazingly emotion-filled experience. At the end, I was happy that Turandot was finally able to love the man that risked his life to prove that he was a suitable man for her. The colors of the stage, and how they changed the settings during the intermission was so interesting to me.
In conclusion, I loved how so many elements of the arts came together to form such an amazing production. The performers all acted in such harmony, each performing their numbers at the perfect moment. I can most definitely say that my first time at an Opera was an unforgettable experience, one that I will reminisce for the rest of my life.