Wednesday 10/3 Andrew Garafalo

This Wednesday I went to an opera for the first time in my life and it was a very interesting experience. The Metropolitan Opera House was a beautiful place that really took me by surprise.  I was in awe at the sights around me. Everything was very high class and formal. The story of “Turandot” was compelling and enjoyable. At the start, I felt a little confused and uninterested because it was very foreign and puzzling due to the language barrier. After I turned on the English subtitles, the play was much easier to understand and follow, and I became captivated. Although, looking back and forth between the chair and the stage was difficult. I was taken aback by the power and talent of the opera singers. Their endurance was truly admirable. The orchestra was also phenomenal! Seeing their live performance was truly amazing. I loved the rendition of “nessun dorma”. I had a refined appreciation for it after hearing Luciano Pavarotti perform it twice in class. I’m glad I had the opportunity to attend an opera, although I’m not sure if I would go to another for my own pleasure.