Wednesday, October 3rd James Baldassano

Instead of having class on wednesday, October 3rd, we did something that I never did before and will remember for a while. For the first time in my short 18 years of life, I attended an opera! It was a famous one at that, the acclaimed masterpiece known as “Turandot” by Giacomo Puccini. The story was about a land where a law was created in which “Any man who desires to wed Turandot (the princess) must first answer three riddles. If he fails, he will be beheaded.” It was  a very interesting plot, but to be frank, not my cup of tea. Don’t get me wrong, I thought the music was just as impressive as it was fantastic, as well as the breathtaking scenery. But I found it difficult to follow the story line (probably since it was in a foreign language, and in order to look at the translations, I would have to stare at the back of the sea in front of me), and confused at many points. Maybe its just my immature mind not yet accustomed to the mature entertainment of an opera, but maybe one day I will grow to appreciate it! This is how I was at first with classical music, but I absolutely love it now, especially Gustav Holst.

All in all, it was interesting to be introduced to a whole different cultural experience. It is something I can say I’m happy to of given a chance, and maybe I will grow to appreciate it, for I can learn to appreciate anything with good music, especially a beautiful rendition of “Nessun Dorma”, even if it isn’t Pavarotti singing!