Corinna K. 10-17-12

Our trip to see The Heiress on Broadway this past Wednesday was, for the most part, a very enjoyable one.  I’ve gone to see Broadway plays before, but this time the experience was a bit different. This time around, I knew what to expect because I had read the book the play was based on.  Although for many people this would be seen negatively, to me it made things more interesting. It was fun being able to compare the two versions of the story.  I personally favor the play over the book Washington Square. The play incorporated a lot of humor into the telling of the story, although I do understand that it is easier to accomplish this through acting as opposed to writing.  In addition, I loved the ending of the play. When reading the book I was dying for Catharine to give Morris a taste of his own medicine or any type of punishment at all. When Catharine stands up Morris in The Heiress by leading him to believe that she will take him back and elope with him, I could not have been happier.

Overall, the play The Heiress was very entertaining.  Besides the wonderful actors and well-written script, the props and setting were also worth mentioning. I felt that the detail and effects, such as the light shining through the windows to show that it was morning, were very cool.  They made the scenes seem very believable which I loved. The only complaint that I have is that the seats where too steep, making the play hard to see without uncomfortably leaning over the railing.