~Poetry Readings Part 2 ~11/7/12~

On Wednesday in seminar we continued to recite our poetry selections.  I was able to perform my three poems by Dorothy Parker.  My three poems were Resumè, Observation and Love Song.  I enjoyed performing my poems and playing the sarcastic and snarky side of Parker’s poems.  She was a strong woman who wasn’t afraid to speak her mind during a time period when women were expected to be seen and not heard.  I admire her voice and her bravery to overcome the expectations of her society, as well as the traumas of her personal life.  I feel that the three poems, which I recited in class are a perfect representation of Parker’s life and work, and I’m happy that I had the opportunity to present her work.

In addition to performing my three Dorothy Parker poems, I enjoyed hearing my classmates perform their poems.  Christian and Shumaila’s poems were interesting because they were   snapshots of life.  They described people’s experiences while commuting through a city and all of the different people that they encountered.  This past saturday I took the bus for the first time in a few months and I enjoyed people watching during my trip.  The little old lady who sat across from me, the middle age man with a bag of groceries from the Met supermarket, the sisters who were fighting over who got to sit down.  Everyone had their own story and own destination.  With these poems in mind, I was able to pay more attention to the various faces in front of me and see the beauty in this perfunctory task.