Lions in a Mountainous Landscape

Théodore Gericault’s Lions in a Mountainous Landscape is an oil on wood, and was painted around 1820. The dimensions of the painting are 19 x 23 1/2 in. and is currently on display at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in gallery 801.

When I first laid my eyes on this marvelous painting I immediately noticed how realistic and life-like this painting looks and feels. At first glance, it appears to be just an average pack of lions going to sleep on the mountainside, as if they are tired from a long day of traveling. However, as I took a closer look I noticed that three of the lions have full manes, while the other three don’t, which makes me believe that there are three male and three female lions that may be three different couples of lions. In addition to this realization, I also see that three seem tired and peaceful, while three others have there teeth bared, making them seem to be angry or even frustrated as they seemingly cry for help. Overall though, the ominous and dark setting of the landscape seems to play a big role in this painting as it sets the tone of a lost hope for these lions as they struggle to travel through the mountains on their long journey. Through this brilliant painting, Gericault is able to evoke a very iconic sentiment of distress and hopelessness.