I pull my wet hair back into a ponytail as I push the door open and step outside. The cold air smacks my face as I step onto the pavement. Instead of walking to the train and heading back to Baruch I decide now would be the perfect time for my 30-minute stroll. I have two hours until class so I feel no pressure at all and I encourage myself to get lost. Since I am not in Greenwich Village often and I hardly know any of the blocks, I decide to walk straight. I read a couple of street signs but mostly I just observe my surroundings and allow my thoughts to drift. The sidewalks are really wide. Wait- are all city sidewalks this wide? Maybe they just feel wider because they are so clean. They are indeed spotless. They are also wide, really wide. Now that I think about it, the street is wide too, the entire area is wide. It doesn’t feel like the Manhattan. It’s not busy. It’s not rushed. It’s not cluttered. I feel as though I am walking in Park slope.

Wide Streets : 6th Avenue

I look around. Everyone seems so at peace. No one is running or even speed walking. A couple is sitting on a bench laughing and sharing a sandwich. Everyone seems so well- put together and even well- dressed. The girl who walks past me is in a cute plaid skirt and the next one is in loose grey pants and black booties. I can’t help but feel like this neighborhood is filled with people who have their lives together. Every restaurant is healthy and I am thrown off guard to see how busy they are. “Pure Green” ‘Ono Bowls” “Nature’s Market”- this doesn’t feel like New York. I see a man on the corner, he has a long table sprawled out and he has book sprawled across. I manage to glimpse at some familiar names such as James Patterson and Truman Capote but that’s about it. I wanted to stay and look at some more but I wasn’t in the mood for him to harass me to buy something. I continue walking down 6thAvenue and finally decide to take my first turn on Bleeker Street.

There is a shift in the layout as the streets are no longer as wide, they are one way and slightly more cluttered with small shops. This block is dirtier and more compact than 6thAvenue. I keep walking and when I reach the corner I close my eyes and say “Right” “Left” or “Straight.” I do this for several blocks and find myself turning a lot. Although I should probably pay a little attention I have absolutely no idea where I am at this point in relation to where I started. It isn’t until I pass a funeral home again that I realize I have walked in somewhat of a circle. As I approach the end of the block, I cross against the light and notice a few people do so after me. I wonder if they would have crossed had I waited. I decide that they wouldn’t. No one wants to be the first one to do something but once someone else does it, they’ll jump at it. This reminds me of an episode of brain games I watched when I was little.

Greenwich Villiage

As I keep walking I feel my mouth widen as I display a huge smile: Washington Square Park. I am so proud of myself for ending up here as I didn’t even realize I was in hat neighborhood. I can’t help but take credit for this arrival even though it was totally unexpected. I walk through the park and I am overwhelmed with gratitude. I think parks are my favorite park about New York City. I think it’s because the city is always associated with large corporations, people rushing and it’s architecture that we often neglect the nature aspect: parks. Two old men are playing chess and I smile. A woman is sitting on a bench, talking on the phone and another man is reading the newspaper. The sky is blue and the trees stand tall as I pause and take in the moment. I am in no rush to get anywhere.

Beautiful day in Washington Square Park