It was the evening of Tuesday, November 6th. My last class, English, had ended early and I was stuck with the many options I had left. I could go home, I could go eat, I could study, I could do some math homework, I could begin writing my many papers I had coming up. Yet the temptation to go home was so strong.

It was around four o’clock when I ended up walking around Madison Square Park. The whole day had been gloomy and wet, but this didn’t bother me. The views were amazing. It was the time of year that the leaves of the trees turned from green to vibrant shades of yellow, orange and red. I fell instantly in love; I had to stop and admire all the beautiful shades the different trees displayed. These colorful days only last briefly, as the leaves quickly fall off and leave the branches barren.

Beautiful Scenery in Madison Square Park

I begin to wonder how this, the inevitable cycle of the natural seasons, correlates to life. Good times are always met with bad times. One must endure hardship to reach bliss, and vice versa. This is what always comes to mind whenever I see beautiful views in nature. I also remember that soon it will be so cold and snow will fall, but I stop myself from having these thoughts too much as I realize it will ruin my walk. I continue to admire the gorgeous fall shades the trees beautifully display.

I notice the park is uncannily empty. I begin to wonder why. It is now around five o’clock in the evening, shouldn’t everyone be out of work and on their way home? Where are all the kids and moms who always play at the park? Even the cute dogs and their walkers are nowhere to be seen. I only see the occasional person with a briefcase and umbrella in their hand. That’s when I realize. It’s drizzling, the sky is filled with heavy clouds and is remarkably gray. It is soon about to pour. And it begins to pour.

I run west out of Madison Square Park and quickly try to make a decision as to where to go. I make myself to a nearby food place, Hill Country Chicken on Broadway and West 25th St. As I purchase a small apple pie cup, which was amazingly delicious, I get a text message from my mom. She wants to know if I’m still in Manhattan so we can go home together. I completely forgot she was in the city and quickly reply that I am. She wants me to meet her in the next hour at her office on 28th St, only a couple blocks away!

I finish my pie cup and begin walking northward on Broadway. It’s no longer raining so I walk slowly and admire the people who are also walking. I begin to wonder where they’re all going. Are they going home or to a second job? Maybe they’re even going to take night classes, or maybe meeting a date at a nearby restaurant. The possibilities are endless.

I finally arrive to where my mom’s office is. I’m early so I wait outside for her to come out, and that’s when I see the Empire State Building. My mom’s office is located at such a precise location where one can easily see the Empire State Building without many obstructions–which is hard to do in the city of New York. The tower is lit red, white and blue. I begin to wonder why these colors in specific, when I remember today was the Midterm Elections.

For months I had been excited to see the results of this election. Today was finally the day America would see a change in politics. Hopefully. I then began to remember the vast amount of people I saw with “I Voted” stickers. I also remembered my own election day process, as I had gone to vote early in the morning before going to school. As I stared at the beautiful Empire State Building, I reflected on the democratic practices our country runs on and how grateful I am to be apart of such a great country, despite all the controversies and hardships we have endured. It was a great way to end the day.

Empire State Building displays red, white and blue lights for Midterm Elections