Prof. Laura Kolb, Baruch College

God Bless America?

Rosler is an artist who has strong opinions about many things. She says the things people are afraid to say, but what makes her influential is that her art is different. The different types of media that she utilizes makes her art all the more powerful. The piece that hit me the most from her show at The Jewish Museum was a video titled “Prototype (God Bless America).” Essentially, it’s a video of a battery operated toy soldier waving a flag to the famous patriotic song “God Bless America.” The camera then reveals that one of the toy soldier’s pant leg is rolled up to show something resembling a prosthetic leg.

This video presentation pushes boundaries because it explores a perspective of war  that most civilians and politicians gloss over. When America decides to go to war it can be for a myriad of reasons. Without politics and over complications America goes to war to defend themselves, to defend an ally, or to fight a nation that has ideals that threaten society. No one thinks about the men and women who put their lives on the line for this country. When making a decision to go to war politicians think about the politics and the optics, they separate themselves from the men and women who are actually going to fight the war.

This piece of art is intriguing because it combines a familiar tune which makes everyone want to raise their flags and make America better and vilifies it. It’s almost

as if Rosler is saying, “To you these tunes mean BBQs and happiness, but to our brothers in arms this is the song of everything they’ve lost.”

Rosler chose to “give” the toy soldier a prosthetic leg as opposed to any other injury because that is one of the two defining injuries of the US war in Iraq and Afghanistan. This video was created in 2006, which was in the middle of those two wars. This piece of art challenged, and continues to challenge, politicians and government officials even if they don’t know it. How many limbs and lives were lost in Iraq and Afghanistan? Maybe, Rosler is asking the people in power “Is it worth it?”

The combination of the audio, video, and the doll make the piece intriguing and politically powerful. Firstly, the tune grabs the viewer. Once the viewer walks over to the piece they are captivated by the video, which lends itself to the doll and all that it represents. The fact the Rosler chose to use a doll rather than make a magazine collage, which she does for other pieces of art, actually strengthens her argument. Once there’s something tangible, it makes the argument more real. Seeing something tangible helps the viewers stop themselves from separating themselves from soldiers. It strengthens the viewers connection to the piece and the argument. 

1. Alexandra Sanoulis

Frieda,

When I first looked at the big picture in your post, I realized I didn’t see this piece of art, but once I read your post I saw that it was actually an image from a video shown in the museum, which I found really interesting. I completely agree with your points when you say that most people don’t think of the risks that soldiers take on their lives when they go to war. I really liked the way you phrased it by saying Rosler’s message was saying “To you these tunes mean BBQ’s & happiness, but to our brothers in arms this is the song of everything they’ve lost.” I wish I got to see the video myself but I am glad you chose this as your work of art because you described it so well that I can envision the video in my head, and I also feel that it is a very strong political message and intriguing work of art.

2. Andrew Ziska

Hey Frieda,

Before I read your post, I looked at the photo and honestly didn’t even notice the prosthetic leg on the toy. I think your analysis of Rosler’s political message was spot on and might have even been more than what she intended. Your understanding of Rosler’s connection of this toy’s message to the wars occurring during that time was very powerful. The way you incorporate all three mediums of video, sound, and art piece helps me understand fully what Rosler was trying to convey to the audience. Very well done.
    -Andrew