Prof. Laura Kolb, Baruch College

Lost in the Jungle

Watching The Jungle that night on December 5th was probably one of the rawest and emotionally charged things I’ve ever experienced.  I knew as soon as I walked into that set, sitting down at one of the tables, that things were about to become very real and very personal.  One of the actors was walking around and pouring tea for guests, and he was totally in character.  As he came before me, he greeted me and asked how I was in Arabic.  I’ve always been one to immediately leap at the chance to connect with another person who shares my heritage, so I shyly told him I was fine with what little Arabic I know.  I remember feeling so happy as he smiled and had a short conversation with me in English about where me and my parents were from.  From then on, I felt like I was a part of something much bigger than myself, and I was about to witness it in the form of a play.

There were many moments, scenes, or speeches in the play that took my breath away and left me reeling, but one of the most striking was the image of Alan Kurdi being shown on the televisions in the room.  It was dead silent as I and the rest of the audience solemnly studied the image of a little boy, unmoving, gently being caressed by the tide on the beaches of Turkey.  I remember seeing that image back in 2015 and crying my eyes out.  Even now, the blurriness in my eyes comes back as I think of Alan, who should still be alive.  Alan’s life was already jeopardized by the war in Syria; if anything, he should have made it to Europe.  I think of Alan and think of all the children all over the world who suffer things just like this.  We failed him.  Our governments failed him.

When Norullah fired that gunshot I jumped so badly I lost focused for a second.  The light, the smoke, the sound – it felt all too real.  I almost thought an actual bullet at been lodged in the ceiling.  And later, when the French police were ‘demolishing’ the restaurant and lifting the roof off, I felt as if I were experiencing so many different sensations and emotions and thoughts that I felt overwhelmed.  It gives me goosebumps to remember that people hear and go through things like that everyday, and that’s become a way of life.  That’s what Alan was trying to escape from.  And there, in the Jungle of Calais, that’s what they were all trying to escape from.  They were all united by their common traumas and their desperation for something better.  They were united by their desire to create a home away from the one they left.

I was devastated that the play ended on such a somber note.  It wasn’t a happy ending by any definition of the phrase.  I can only hope that productions like the play help bring the plight of refugees and migrants to the center of attention to people living in relative peace all over the world.  And if it makes people uncomfortable?That means it’s doing something right.

1. Nicholas Cocozzelli

Hey Ayah,
    This was a very insightful blog post. The play featured amazing performances all around and everyone involved was very invested in their role. What made this stand out from past shows we’ve seen is the level of audience interaction. I’m sure speaking to the actor in Arabic was a very worthwhile experience. Additionally, I agree that the closing scene (although somber) produced an impactful moment. It was very overwhelming to see the restaurant dismantled like that. The scene provided insight into the hardships the refugees must bear. It was also quite disheartening to see how far they came in building a “home away from home” but still fell victim to an undesirable fate. Nevertheless, the level of discomfort found within the play was quite essential for the message involved.

2. Teona Pagan

Dear Ayah,
    Your blog post was very personal and resonated with some of the same emotions I felt during the show. When the actor came around pouring everyone cups of Chai, I automatically felt welcome and knew that this show was out of the ordinary. As you stated, I felt as if I was apart of something much bigger than myself. I think I remember us all jumping when we heard that loud gunshot as it pierced everyone’s minds and hearts in the room. I also remember seeing the image of the young boy washed up on the beach. I was heartbroken then and I felt the same way when I saw it in the show. Things of this nature are still happening today. The show did not have a happy ending and, unfortunately, the endings for refugees are not cheerful either. Overall, your post was very descriptive and I got a good sense of your personal connection to the show. Good job!