The Guggenheim: Wang Jianwei’s Time Temple

Interior lighting - Dan Flavin

Before going into my experience with Wang Jianwei’s time temple, I would like to touch up the Guggenheim in general. In the summer that just passed, I was coming to terms with going to school in the city, which was the one place I said I wouldn’t go near. The thought then crossed my mind that people come from all over the world to come to school here, so there must be something worthwhile it had to offer. I took the time and decided to experience the city I was raised in through new eyes. This began my cultural exploration of the famous New York City. From free movie screenings, to museum visits, and food tastings, my summer played out well. One of the places many people, including my father, encouraged me to visit was the Guggenheim. Although I didn’t get the chance to go over summer, I must say, this is one of the greatest museums I’ve ever set foot in. The beauty and hard work that was put into the architecture of the building cannot go unnoticed. The circular structure is a brilliant set up and is all the more appreciated since they didn’t have the technology and tools we have today.
Now more specifically, seeing Jianwei’s exhibit sparked my interest. I think it is important to point out the way this exhibit was made. Jianwei was asked to make this exhibit for the space he was provided specifically. Our tour guide pointed out two things that stood out to me. Firstly, the exhibit room itself influenced the painting he made (the painting of the conference). After Wang came into the room he decided to imitate it within the painting. Secondly, he told us that each part of the sculpture could be placed on its own or in a different location in the room if it needed be. This was extremely interesting to me because most exhibits have a sense of precision that Jianwei refused to adopt. All in all, this was an amazing experience that I am grateful to have.