Marcel Dzama: Un Danse des Bouffons

IMG_7458 IMG_7463

Un Danse des Bouffons was an incredibly surprising short film. Considering that it was our first time going to a gallery, watching such a confusing yet beautiful film as way beyond what I expected even after watching a bit of it prior to going.

It was only what I can explain as a very strange expression of creativity. It was even stranger considering that we went in to watch the film while it was ending. Since we came in at the end, what we saw was a lot more surprising since we had not gotten used to the style of the film. It made an even bigger impression on us since not only did we come in at the end, but also it was naked people something that we are not used to seeing in public, especially in a class.

Although many people voiced their negative opinions and said that it made them feel uncomfortable, I found it beautiful. The music made it a lot more mysterious, but I liked that about it. It seemed very dark to me, but at the same time it represented renewal, or rebirth (literally). The incorporation of dancing also made sense when realizing that Un Danse des Bouffons means the jester’s dance. We see paralleled by the fact that one of the main guys is made up to look like a jester. Although the nudity made people feel uncomfortable, I saw it as art. Are bodies do not always have to represent sex; they can also simply represent the body, which is in itself art.

I do admit that it was confusing considering that there was no narration and a lot happening, but at the same time it had elegance.