The Guggenheim Museum- Wing Jianwei: Time Temple

Wing Jianwei’s sculpture and painting exhibition was very interesting to me. I like the four connecting paintings with the yellow lines on the corners because it was a very creative way of expressing the different perspectives within that one group. Jianwei could have easily just painted the scene in one canvas, but he decided to repeat some parts of the scene and continue on like this until the last canvas. I also found it interesting that we didn’t know the background of the painting; we weren’t told exactly what was happening in the scene which made the piece more interesting to me.

I also liked the cell painting because of his technique of using the paint to make 3-D textures and thus making it more interesting. It was also cool to hear that his choice of colors like yellow and gray were used because he wanted his exhibit to be a place for quiet and contemplation.

After the tour, some of us when to the highest floor and swirled our way to the lobby while looking at the other art. There was actually a moving piece on the highest floor, where different pieces would start moving at different times, all within the 7 minutes of the presentation. It was all about light, since once the performance started, a light would turn on and we would get to see how the different pieces and the light worked together to create not only art in the piece but also on the wall.

The group Zero was also very interesting to me since they made such abstract art that a lot of people didn’t understand at that time, and that some don’t even understand now. I personally liked learning that one of the members of Zero actually walked into the original exhibit in the 1900’s and smoked cigarettes. The smoke was lifted up and created different images, but would soon disappear