Imploded Sculptures on Park

Taking a walk in October across 67th street, I looked up to see an odd, geometric figure. I wanted to know more. As I walked by, I was able to snap a picture so I can look at it later.

As it turns out, the sculpture was one of seven, displayed on Park Ave between 52nd and 67th streets. They were created by Ewerdt Hilgemann, a German-born artist. The series on Park was called “Moments in a Stream,” and range from 8 to 20 feet. The particular sculpture I saw was closer to 20 feet. 

The most amazing thing about these sculptures is that they are imploded. A unique vacuuming process causes the implosion. To Hilgemann, the implosion represents the inward spiral of energy to reach the core and mystery of matter, the ultimate beauty of creation. 

Screen Shot 2014-12-10 at 9.18.53 PM

What strikes me about the sculptures is that they play with the idea of perfection. A perfect geometric figure becomes imperfect, as its straight edges are tarnished. There seems to be chaos in the art, but there is a clear order and precision as to how Hilgemann imploded the works. 

Overall, I was impressed by the sculptures. They seemed out of place on Park Avenue, certainly not an empty avenue. However, while they stuck out like a sore thumb in their time on Park, they seemed right at home at the same time. 

The art made me more aware of my surroundings towards the beginning of the semester, showing me that art can literally be anywhere in New York, you just have to open your eyes and look.

Screen Shot 2014-12-10 at 9.19.04 PM