Complexions // Joyce Theatre

Complexions1

Complexions Contemporary Ballet is the first performance I have ever seen at the Joyce Theatre and although it was smaller in size compared to the Lincoln Center the atmosphere of this particular theatre was extremely cozy and exciting. I think the closely-knit seating, dimmed lights, and soft background music had a lot to do with making the place seem so inviting. When the curtains first opened, I did not know what to expect or how to feel about this show despite the research we did for class because this style of art just seemed so strange and confusing. Unlike most shows that I have been where there was some type of story line that flowed throughout the performance, Complexions was arranged in fragments of choreographs that did not correspond with one another.

The first dance of the show had me feeling a bit uncomfortable and uncertain about the rest of the performance but it did make me realize the distinctiveness of contemporary dance as an art. This form of dance is expressed through movements borrowed from classical, modern, and jazz styles. Despite the movements it is comprised of, contemporary dance itself is completely different. The focus and also the most impressive component of the dance is the strength these performers possess. As the show went on, the performance progressively became more upbeat and exciting. It was amazing to see how much skill and strength these contemporary dancers have in controlling their muscle movements so precisely. The last dance of the show was absolutely exhilarating, a bang worth the build. And even though some of their body language along with their skin-tight attire did make me feel somewhat uncomfortable in the beginning, I let go my understanding of what should be into what it actually was; contemporary dance is an art the same way ballet or any other dance is an art. It embodies multiple styles in order to accentuate the strength of the human body and its essence.