On the short walk to the Studio Museum from my dorm, I was thinking of physical space. In a crowded city like New York, there isn’t much of it. At about 1 PM on a Friday, 125th street was as busy as could be. Going only two blocks, I may have passed 100 people. Just like in Bobby Womack’s song, “Across 110th Street,” so much is going on at any given moment in New York City. He states in the chorus, “Across 110th Street, pimps trying to catch a woman that’s weak…pushers won’t let the junkie go free…. woman trying to catch a trick on the street.” It is so easy to replace the lyric “Across 110th Street” with “Across 125th Street” and probably every street in Manhattan. While the things Womack is mentioning aren’t exactly positives, it all adds to the charm of Harlem. Going back to last week’s blog post, we love it and we hate it. While all my non-New Yorker family members gasp when I say I live in Harlem, I say it with pride because in a one block radius while there is bad, there is also good. I’ve been catcalled one second and then serenaded by a street performer the next, that’s just what you get in New York.