“You can find it all in the street”. This lyric/sentence in Bobby Womack’s “Across 110th Street” stood out to me the most. This can be interpreted as it literally states that you can find it all in the streets of not only Harlem, but New York City as well. There are both positive and negative connotations to finding it “all in the streets”. The negatives are the drugs, gang activities, prostitution, etc. While I believe that there’s more positive than negatives, I came to a realization that people don’t often recognize and acknowledge the issues in the city. The resident artists in the We Go as They exhibit at the Studio Museum carries different messages and feelings through their paintings. The one that stuck out the most to me as Andy Robert’s Call II Mecca, Oil on linen. It was a large art piece combined from six smaller pieces. On each of them, I noted the chunks of paint throughout where some places are heavier than other. And the words “metropo”, shortened from Metro Police.

An interesting piece I really liked at the Studio Museum was Miatta Kawinzi’s Streetspeak.

The hands and fingers in the artwork point towards the phrase “my sista”. I enjoy this work mainly because of the “family” feeling that it gives off by the artist in Harlem. I take note of that familiarity with the members of the community walking down the streets of Harlem, where many people seem to know each other. In a sense, they are like each other’s “sista” and even brother.