While at the MET museum, I found both Rodin and Michelangelo’s work extremely captivating and unique to their respectful creators.

Within Rodin’s sculptures, I noticed there was a somber aspect connected to the works of art and it looked as if many of the characters depicted were suffering in one way or the other. I also noticed many of them were bent in a way that was covering themselves and or protecting their bodies.

In contrast, within MichealAngelo’s sculptures, I saw many of them portrayed liberally and gracefully. For example, this marble sculpture reminds me of an angel ready to soar and be free.

This sculpture by Angelo is depicted in a way in which the man is flaunting himself and is proudly posing for the viewer. His face is calm and relaxed and this piece of work had an overall serene feeling associated with it.

In opposition,  this  marble sculpture by Rodin, portrays a woman sitting in a lonesome manner as she turns her head away from something or someone. She doesn’t look like she is going anywhere and looks as if she is almost ashamed of something.

I found this particular sculpture of Rodin’s interesting as the woman bows and surrenders herself and body to the man who is only gently bowing his head, yet is holding her with a firm grip. Its almost as if he’s consuming her, as her body merges within his, and we see more of his body as opposed to hers.Thus I sense a patriarchal dominance within Rodin’s sculptures depicting the man and woman.

One of Michelangelo’s paintings that stood out to me was The Battle of Cascina, primarily because it didn’t seem like a battle that I was expecting.

I associate battles with weapons and soldiers with armor, not this dramatic scene with naked men going after one another. However, this highlights a greater battle, which is the fight between the individual man. Strip away, the weapons, the heavy armor, and cannons, what is there really left? Men fighting one another to the death. Thus, I think this painting portrays a battle scene at its most raw and real form.It was a daring task on MichealAngelo’s part, but nonetheless served to make a very loud statement centuries later and up to today.