One of the definitions of art according to the Merriam Webster dictionary is “the conscious use of skill and creative imagination especially in the production of aesthetic objects.” If we look at history, at most of those who produced art the “classical way” as defined above (such as paintings), they did not make a living from it. Instead, they lived in complete poverty. Many of those artists only became famous after their deaths, such as Vincent Van Gogh.

I never thought about the relation of art and commerce but with the above in mind it makes sense that they are closely related. Practically, everyone needs to earn a living one way or another to survive. Therefore, those who are creative take their skill and choose to apply it in an area that still will reach the public and earn them a living. Advertising and fashion are two main fields where the above can be accomplished.

However, what I find sad is that celebrity endorsements are the “big thing” today and basically the only way to make something popular.  Virgil Abloh understands the “modern necessity of having influential allies”  to shape his brand. Because of that it is hard for him to accomplish his goal of creating for kids of his demographics; he would need to leave his celebrity friends since he will not be creating products form them.  It is sad that people are only subjecting themselves to the tastes and views of celebrities regardless of quality, design, functionality and many other factors.  Today there are many ads that show the celebrity and not the actual product.  This actually hinders creativity because what becomes the focus is the celebrity and not the actual item.

On a different note, what was especially interesting to me was the way others use their creativity. I especially loved Warhol’s idea of using “leftovers” to create art. When I read that, crayon art came to mind. Instead of throwing out the old and broken crayons no one wants to use, they can be glued on a piece of cardboard and melted with a blowdryer to create art.