When talking about possible career choices , people would ask, “What are you interested in? What are your hobbies?” Depending on the person, I would either shrug or tell them I like art mainly drawing. When I chose to say the latter, the person I’m talking about would say, “Have you thought about Graphic Design? Or going into advertising?” These would be the most practical  paths to go to with art when thinking about a future with a job besides architecture. It is difficult to find a stable job much less make a name for yourself. To Glenn O’Brien, advertising wasn’t what he imagined to be the career that will connect him to art yet it is through this line of work that he was able to feel the recognition as an artist and as a member of society. But to get yourself a name in the art world is tough unless you have connection and influences. Kanye West and Virgil Abloh both state how they wouldn’t have been acknowledged as they are now if they didn’t have these connections with other famous people, if there line of work didn’t appeal to famous icons in  the media that promoted their work. I learned that art is considered art by three agencies: the artist, the audience/viewer, and the critic/curator. Thanks to the influence of famous celebrities wearing fashion products or praising  works is then caught by the media/critic which then impacts the artists’ brand name which leads to a desire for these brands, products are distributed and so forth.

When I was thinking of a connection between art, fashion, advertising, and commerce, I remembered a scene from the movie, Medianeras, where the artist who worked as a window shop designer and it showed one of the designs she had made where the outfit’s artistic sense was brought out more in a creative way. It caught my interest and I would most likely go in the shop and possibly buy clothes. The use of color, as Kanye West stated in his article, is important.

I was also reminded of the late Harvey Ball who was a graphic artist that created the smiley icon which became an international symbol of happiness and goodwill incorporated in countless products. He was a freelance artist when he created the symbol and never asked for it to be trademarked or copyrighted which was interesting considering the significance of one’s name and work being recognized as discussed in the three articles.