Face-to-Face: University Woods Park

University Woods Local Interviews

We sent one of our operatives into University Woods Park to meet some locals and see what their opinions on the park that they know best is. Here is what he found…

University Heights, the neighborhood around University Wood is mostly residential with many large apartment building complexes. There are scattered small businesses such as bodegas and small restaurants. I entered University Wood through a modest fence door, and continued to walk down the beaten asphalt path. I had already begun to see why this park was rated “city’s worst park” for four consecutive years.

I entered University Wood through a modest fence door, and continued to walk down the beaten asphalt path. I had already begun to see why this park was rated “city’s worst park” for four consecutive years.

The park was mostly deserted minus the scattered homeless looking men. Had I been here for any reason besides for research I would have had enough reason to leave. Further down the scraggly wooded area was a middle-aged man throwing acorns to squirrels. This is the man I interviewed.

Interview: Male, African American, Mid-50’s. Saturday, November 27th, 1:15 pm:

Sam: Hi, I’m Sam and I’m conducting an interview about parks and their local residents, would you care to be interviewed?

Stephen: Oh sure.

Sam: Great, so before we get started would you like to state your name?

Stephen: It’s Stephen, that’s with a “ph”

Sam: Great, so Stephen do you live nearby?

Stephen: Ya pretty close. Morris and 181st.

Sam: And how long have you lived there?

Stephen: Well, I’ve only been living there for a couple months, but I’ve lived in the area for about 10 years.

Sam: Why did you move to this area, 10 years ago I mean.

Stephen: I got a job working over at the community college.

Sam: I’m sorry which community college?

Stephen: Bronx Community College.

Sam: Right of course. How did you get here today?

Stephen: I walked, my building is right nearby.

Sam: And how long would you say your walk took?

Stephen: Used to be no more than five minutes, but I hurt my leg a few weeks back and uh it takes a bit longer.

Sam: I’m sorry to hear that. Why did you decide to come to the park today?

Stephen: I come here every Saturday. I like the fresh air and I like to see the animals.

Sam: I see. What do you like best about the park?

Stephen: I like the privacy. The city gets pretty crazy.

Sam: I know what you mean. What is your least favorite thing about the park?

Stephen: They need to clean this place up a bit. The grounds and the walls. Always junk lying around.

Sam: How do you think this park has changed the location?

Stephen: I don’t know. I don’t think it’s done anything really.

Sam: How do you feel about the park’s location?

Stephen: I love this neighborhood, but it sure as hell isn’t the Upper East Side.

Stephen’s comment got our group thinking: Why is it to easy to compare the University Heights to the Upper East Side and know that the comparision is not a positive one for the Bronx neighborhood? Why is it that a neighborhood that is as much a part of New York City as any Manhattanite block…is simply accepted as that of lesser quality?

We'll keep researching this incentive.