Masala

The food stop that I visited was Masala, an Indian restaurant in Woodside. From the first sight it seemed like it was slightly different than its next-door neighbors. This is because everything around Masala is either Latino or Chinese. It is located on Roosevelt Avenue and 61st street – walking distance from the 7 train 61st street stop. Its menu offers customers authentic Indian cuisine. It is decorated moderately with Indian inspired furniture, and in the background you could hear soft Indian music playing. The overall atmosphere provided comfort and anticipation (for the food, of course), as the smell of the spices that I encounter too sparingly was very enticing. Masala draws you in and separates you from the hustle and bustle of Woodside and the roaring train station. Although the restaurant was Indian I did not feel like that limited the variety of customers. The restaurant was not full, and there was no dominant race or color in there. I noticed people of the Latino and White community of Woodside eating in there as well.

As Ceci pointed out in the demographics of Woodside, there is a mix of races that inhabit the Woodside area. Roughly 20 percent of the population in Woodside is Indian, so the restaurant fits in well with its demographic. India also has one of those cultures that attract a broad palette of patrons to their restaurants. The restaurant has been up and running since 1993. It was located somewhere else in Queens before moving right across the street from the post office in Woodside. It is family owned and operated. The welcoming and friendly vibe that I got from eating there was enough for me to picture Masala as a place where families eat dinner together. My personal experience with Indians has led me to believe that they are family oriented and would enjoy the setting that Masala offers. Even though Woodside has a considerable Indian population, I observed the dominance of Latin and other non-Indian Asian restaurants and food stores dominated the food scene, so even though I can’t say that this is the only place Indians would like to eat when they want to feel like home, I would guess that Masala would be a top choice for Indians when they want to eat out. As a cherry on top, the food isn’t too expensive, and it seemed to have a mix of the things are usually served at Indian restaurants, and some items that were meant for the less spice tolerant people. I ordered an appetizer called samosa, which is sort of a bun filled with your choice of meat or vegetables. They were pretty good, and I will go back with friends, and all in all I would say Masala adds not only to the diversity of Woodside, but to the quality that one might hope to find while dining there.