About Us

Welcome to the website of the Macaulay Honors Seminar II class led by Professor Elizabeth Sibilia. We are one of two seminar classes in the College of Staten Island branch of the Macaulay Honors College. The title of our course is “The Peopling of New York,” and throughout the semester we have worked on analyzing and discovering interesting history and facts of Staten Island’s Waterfront.

Staten Island is sometimes known as the “Forgotten Borough” of New York City. Chances are that if you travel outside of the tri-state area, most people will have no idea that a place called Staten Island even exists. Although small and quite unpopular, Staten Island holds a rich history, and has been crucial in global trade, containing New York City’s largest container terminal, Howland Hook Container Terminal. After learning and researching about Staten Island, we were inspired to create this website, where people can visit to learn and discover just how interesting this small little island neighboring Manhattan can be.

2 Responses to About Us

1. Barbara Gottlock says:

My husband and I are writing a book about Happyland Amusement Park and Midland Beach in Staten Island. Do you have any photos you can share with us?

2. I am the producer of the film “Once upon a Time on Staten Island” among a number of other worthwhile films. I’m available for presentations of any of my films and I’m very interested in the photo images you display on your website. All my contact info is available on my new attractive and handsomely illustrated website named above. Hope to hear from you soon. Cheers, Art Siegel