Friends 4Ever

This is my German Shepherd, Lucky. He was adopted into my family in 2000, when I was only 5. The adoption came right before he would be “put to sleep” because no one else had wanted him. As a result, my family named him Lucky because he was lucky to have escaped an eternal sleep before he could enjoy life. This dog is my eternal companion. I am responsible for providing him with sustenance, cleaning up his messes, giving him his vitamins, and bathing him. In return, he has given me affection and loyalty beyond anything else a person could muster. It helps that we horse around together and I rub his belly and scratch him behind his ears so that he can feel relaxed. I will always treasure my pet as a family member!

The handshake – A sign of formality or a mark of true character and personality? To some, a handshake can signify a successful business transaction or interaction with another professional in the workplace. Many could interpret it as a sign of understanding that one has gotten a job from a superior. But for me, it signifies true equality between the two people on either end of the handshake. The degree of respect and fellowship in the handshake can measured by its firmness, the use of eye contact, and the positioning of the body (in this case, forward). This direct contact with another person exudes mutual respect and comradeship. It is through this formality that I have sealed strong bonds with my male friends and continue to do so today.

I’m here with my good friend, Edward Aminov, valedictorian of our graduating Class of 2012 from James Madison High School. I became friends with him in junior year when we were in the same AP Calculus BC class. We bonded over our shared class, music, and girl interests. We’ve helped each other out countless times through our shared classes while also being academic rivals with another (He won in the end, though not without a little help from me!) He is one of my only friends who truly thought like a man. Because I pride myself as being very masculine, he was the ideal guy that I could bounce my thoughts off of, both academically and personally. Although we have different career aspirations, with him wanting to be a genetics engineer and I a lawyer, we still desire the best for ourselves and each other and will continue to collaborate together through all of the bad times and good times. We are truly friends forever!

One thought on “Friends 4Ever

1. I really like your view on the handshake. I think it’s something a lot of us take for granted. If you really think about it and pay attention to what it signifies, it begins to mean a lot more to you.