Apocalyptic Films have Oh-So-Revealing Titles

Annihilation...Earth?

Confronted with the problem of how to complete this assignment using a movie that wasn’t over-marketed, I decided to perform a quick Google search of “Apocalyptic Films” to see what I could find in the way of the underground. I perused several pages which advertised the “TOP 10 APOCALYPTIC FILMS OF ALL TIME”, but wasn’t convinced. I needed something more…back-alley, underground, some futuristic science fiction film that no one knows about, and no sense could be made out of. Turns out, that’s not too hard to find these days. Lo and Behold, it wasn’t long before I came across one that made its subject matter quite plain: A film conveniently titled “Annihilation Earth”.

Now, “Annihilation Earth” isn’t your average apocalyptic film. Originally titled “Doomsday”, “Annihilation Earth” is a 2009 made for television science fiction film set in the year 2020 that chronicles the attempts of an energy scientist to determine the causes of a catastrophic particle collider explosion. Yes, in this director’s interpretation of doomsday, it is a “renewable [unlimited] source of energy” that results in our demise. And, what a demise it is… There’s none of your happy ending, crisis-averted, close call, or 2012’esque “99% of the world was doomed but we’ll live to see better days” sentiments in this one. Not AT ALL. I mentioned the film was unique, and by its ending it surely is. However, what separates this film from many others of its ilk, are the issues of racism and fundamentalism which comprise its themes. As you’ll notice later, annihilation comes in the end as a result of a form of racial distrust.

“Annihilation Earth” begins with a team of scientists ascending mountainous terrain. The mood is immediately detectable as distressed.  And just on cue, moments later, the group is treated to an ostensible sight of destruction and carnage the likes of which history has never before seen. Destruction everywhere. Fire, rubble, smoke, and death. The Scientist and his crew are shocked, and the soundtrack makes for an epic sequence.

This entry was posted in Andreas Apostolopoulos, September, September 14 and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Apocalyptic Films have Oh-So-Revealing Titles

1. jonrossi says:

A very descriptive entry; you’ve sold me on seeing this movie at some point soon. With regards to your last point, however, perhaps all these negative, tangible means are ways given unto humanity by God to create our own apocalypse – at His bidding? The lack of salvation at the end is troubling for my theory, yes, but perhaps salvation was given in the form of Raja stopping the terrorist – and, pursuant to your point, racism and jumping to (stereotypical?) conclusions were the destruction of salvation, as it were.

2. You must be a sci-fi guy if i’ve sold you on seeing this one…i’m not sure i would particularly recommend it, it does come off kind of depressing what with the whole world blowing up due to (in essence) escalating racial tensions….but i guess the science is cool!! Imagine unlimited energy! Then those liberal goons in the media would have nothing to balk at!!!!

And yes, as to your theory, that’s the idea that religions have–that even if the means with which an endgame arrives is not pre-described in the Bible…NO FEAR!!, God planned it that way!! Perhaps…

3. nevermind they would definitely have something to balk at (the liberal goons)..that obviously being the insanely harmful radiation effects if something were to go wrong..not to mention the loss of life…
    30 million is quite staggering..

4. Lee Quinby says:

I might skip this one myself, but thoroughly enjoyed your rendition of it. My comments are geared toward pushing you into more analysis of the sort your Final Essay warrants. I was particularly intrigued by the idea of the “new renewable and limitless form of Energy spearheaded by a project dubbed “Eve” (biblical reference perhaps? Fall of man? Garden of Eden?) which relies on large particle colliders (i.e. the Hadron collider in Geneva) to smash subatomic particles together to create energy.” These are key elements and it would strengthen your response to turn toward analysis more and rely less on description. The Eve reference is obvious, so go ahead and make a claim about it’s obvious allusion to the Fall—and comment on it in light of the doom to come. Is Mrs. Paxton a new Eve in light of this? That would also make her a Jezebel or Whore of Babylon figure, helping to bring on doomsday.

For the collider, since you astutely point out that it gestures to the Hadron collider, more analysis would help set a context for the film. Context is important in understanding the meaning of a film or work of literature, etc. Anxieties ran high about the Hadron collider causing an endtime, so the film is capitalizing on that current of public opinion—and inducing more anxiety about it in the process.

Love the image!

5. Grecia H. says:

I don’t I will be seeing this one any time soon, but the premise is very interesting. The racial prejudice that ultimate brings the end of the world is very captivating specially in a post 9/11 world. Having limitless energy seems awesome, specially when we are running out of it. It is ironic that we would love having limitless energy would bring about the end, I guess too much of a good thing is too good to be true.