At first glance, seeing both the title of the article and date in which it was published cast a shadow of doubt over the content of the article for me.  But this fear of reading another nonsensical article about a “Miracle Cure for Cancer” was quickly quelled as the article does not hesitate to jump into some technical concepts right off of the bat. The subject matter,  a group of hormones called prostaglandins, is given a quick background before its current (at the time) potential is delved into. In my own opinion, the way in which the content is laid forth here is challenging to keep up with. The terminology used and pace at which new information is brought up are much higher than would be found within a comparable article in the “New York Times” today. It is hard to retain focus on all of the elements of this story as we the reader are taken from point to point in the form of varying bodies of research. For instance, the end of the second page leading into the start of the third sees a transition from the most recent troubles of prostaglandin research to a seemingly unrelated story that comes in the form of a study of fertility, which is then tied back in through yet another researcher’s work with sheep uteruses.

For a reader such as myself who may only be finding out about this subject matter through this content, there is simply too much here to digest.  The author does a great job of providing setting, context, and findings but when all of this amounts to 8 pages of in-depth coverage of a dozen sparely connected points the takeaway is minimal. Adding physical images and models to this also did little to help me understand what I was already having trouble comprehending. Overall I thought the article was extremely interesting, but as a college student pursuing a major in science, it left me scratching my head more than I would have liked.